Working With the Community to Keep Sauk Prairie a Bald Eagle Wintering Ground
Educate the public on Bald Eagle ecology, and how we can enjoy eagles without disturbing them.
- Assist with membership promotion by writing letters, stuffing envelopes, labeling, creating forms, etc.
- Maintain membership database, create reports and analyze membership trends
- Write and design flyers and brochures, write news releases
- Organize, implement and market special membership events
- Follow-up with members who wish to volunteer
- Analyze the member and volunteer survey, to better understand what motivates our members and our volunteers
Membership renewal is annual; membership is a requirement for the board of directors. Two General Membership meetings are held annually, one in the fall kicking off eagle season and one in the spring. Some examples of guest speaker’s topics include bald eagles, raptors, habitat management and more.
Your contribution is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
Thank you for your support!
Bald Eagle Watching Days
- Help with selling items
- Set-up and clean-up before and after programs
- Lead one-hour bus tours
- Greet visitors at the Overlook
- Staff the membership /information table
- Present FBEC 20 minute slide show
- Greet visitors at the eagle viewing Overlook for 2-hour shift on weekends
- Maintain FBEC website
- Create displays
- Exhibit at special events throughout the year
- Maintain “All About Eagles” education kits
- Give presentations to local community groups
- Design and distribute semi-annual newsletter
Research and Management
- Help with roost counts every 2-3 weeks throughout the winter
- Represent FBEC at public meetings and monitor local land use issues that affect areas used by eagles
- Design and conduct surveys to collect social and economic information related to the area’s wintering eagles
- Work with landowners to manage eagle-use areas wisely
- Work with community leaders, developers, and landowners in a cooperative spirit when specific threats arise to areas used by eagles